Did you read about us? Mention where and get 10% off your first appointment!
The Financial Sort was founded by Shabana Shiliwala. Always a “saver,” Shabana learned by necessity the importance of personal financial management while paying her own way through college and graduate school. Financially independent since the age of 18, she is debt-free and holds degrees from Smith College and Boston University. Realizing her natural tendency to study and help others with finance, she decided to become a financial professional.
In 2002, Shabana started her own financial advising practice establishing the first Edward Jones office in Wailuku, HI. Over nearly a decade, she helped hundreds of individuals, families and businesses to organize, simplify and improve their finances. Recipient of several awards, Shabana finds the one for Client Service Excellence (based on anonymous surveys of her clients after the onset of the economic crisis) most meaningful.
Shabana has a passion for educating people towards financial literacy. In addition to teaching adult education classes, she has presented to workplace education programs, international service groups, government agencies, senior centers and professional associations. Since she believes financial education needs to start early, she advised a high school financial literacy program as well as worked with students directly as a guest teacher. She also writes about personal finance at her blog and Examiner.com.
Ironically, the inspiration for The Financial Sort comes from Shabana’s experience with those she was unable to help as a financial advisor. These individuals scheduled appointments, so they wanted her help; yet, they never made it to their appointments. The stumbling block? They were so overwhelmed by their finances that simply collecting the information she needed to understand their situation seemed impossible. Rather than face their finances, they would cancel their appointments out of frustration and abandon their plans to achieve their goals.
Shabana realized that many people want to manage their money better, but are hindered by barriers including incomprehensible account statements, too much paperwork, lack of time and information overload. Her mission is to take the mystery out of money management. Through private coaching, public speaking and writing, Shabana helps people sort out their financial lives by teaching them easy money management.
- Shabana’s sincerity, caring and compassion are what make her different. It was comforting to know she was there for me for my money matters.Gail Miyahira
- Shabana helped me set up realistic goals and get on track by saving for my retirement, emergencies and vacations. Because of Shabana’s guidance, I now have a solid financial foundation.Roberta Kokx
- Shabana is an exceptional advisor. Besides being knowledgeable and hard-working, I always felt she truly cared about us as people.Kathleen Suzuki
- Shabana truly saved us financially. I honestly believe we’d be in debt right now with no savings for emergencies, retirement or college without her guidance.Glennis Ooka
- Shabana provided us with personalized and caring assistance from the first day we met her. Her attention to detail sets her apart. Trustworthy and an expert in her field, she exceeded all of our expectations.L. Bisquera
- Our years of working with Shabana were full of fond memories. She is definitely a people person with strong relationship skills.James & Suzanne Aki
- From the time of our very first meeting, both my husband and I felt at ease in discussing our financial situations. Shabana is very professional, explains things very well and is always open to any kinds of questions.James & Suzanne Aki
- We always took Shabana’s advice over the many years we worked with her. Thanks to her suggestions, at this point in time we are both retired and living comfortably.James & Suzanne Aki
- Shabana did a fantastic job in helping my husband and myself to meet our goals. She was always available, easy to talk to, honest, dependable and conscientious. She looks after her clients like family.Bonnie B.
- I am so grateful for the wonderful advice Shabana gave me over the years to make my retirement secure and comfortable.Claudia McDonald
- I had so many accounts spread out all over the place. As a busy attorney, it was difficult for me to stay on top of them. Shabana helped me consolidate my finances to make them easier to manage.Marlene Young
- Thank you Shabana, from an attorney who didn't know anything about organizing her money matters!Marlene Young
- We have found Shabana to be diligent, thorough and knowledgeable. She spent time with us setting up our goals and is committed to seeing that we achieve them.Cathy & Ed Martens
- Working with Shabana has been a rewarding experience in every sense of the word.Cathy & Ed Martens